Tuesday 22 April 2014

Days Of Blood And Starlight-Laini Taylor

This review may contain spoilers from the first book Daughter Of Smoke And Bone, which I also have a review on. I personally wasn't a super big fan of Daughter Of Smoke And Bone but I had to give the second book a try because I felt like I owed it to the series.

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.


Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it. In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life. While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope. But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

The description of the book is from goodreads as always.
The main character Karou annoyed me at times because she knew what was happening was wrong and it took her so long to change it or even speak up. One thing that made me mad was she NEVER stood up for herself, until the end. I know everyone is talking about what a bad ass character she is, but in reality she isn't she stood by creating an army and let them kill. Sure she stood up near the end but how many lives had she cost?
Then there is Akiva who sadly most chapters he was in I didn't enjoy, he spent a lot of time being down or sad about Karou. WELL BUDDY YOU KILLED HER FAMILY. But on the other hand I enjoyed some of his chapters because well you were introduced to his siblings Hazael and Liraz and saw more of them then you did in the first book.
Zuzana well I loved the chapters she was in, Zuzana just added a little bit a spice to each chapter which made some of the chapters a lot more durable.
ZIRI was the only thing that kept me in there, during the first 300 pages or so I hated the book, I disliked a lot, I had to force myself to read through it but ZIRI he was hands down the best character in the book for me. I don't know if it was his strong connection to Karou or if it was that I just instantly liked him, he never seemed happy about the killing he had done which made me happy. He added so much to the book in his quirky personality I guess you could say.
I didn't love this book, I didn't really like it all to much, the beginning was hard to get into and I just had troubles wanting to read this book, I had to force myself to keep reading. But I LOVED the last part so I'm very conflicted on what to give this book as a rating. But I have decided on a 4 out of 5. Because I did love the ending.
-Jordyn

No comments:

Post a Comment